The continuing mission and purpose of the City of Grand Blanc is to foster community excellence, to enhance the quality of life for all people in the community, and to prepare the community for the future by sharing a strategic vision and a plan of action for improvement in: economic development, infrastructure (including transportation, water and sewage & drainage services), public safety (including police and fire prevention & suppression services), education, health care, culture and recreation.
ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT STRATEGY
"Grand Blanc", which literally means "Great White", was originally settled by Chippewa Indians. French traders arrived before 1800 and gave the town its name. By 1823, pioneer families began setting up trading posts and settling on the abundant farmland which sold for $1.25 an acre. The railroad added more work and growth to the small community in 1862. The village of Grand Blanc was the first in the state to consolidate its schools in 1904. Grand Blanc adopted its City Charter on March 4, 1930.
- Grand Blanc became a city on March 4, 1930.
- Approximately 8,276 people live in the City of Grand Blanc according to the 2010 census.
- The size of our city is four (4) square miles.
- The City was originally settled by Chippewa Indians.
- The name "Grand Blanc" means "Great White".
- French traders arrived before 1800 and gave the town its name.
- By 1823, pioneer families were setting up farms & trading posts.
- The land sold then for $1.25 per acre.
- The railroad came through in 1862.
- Grand Blanc was the first in Michigan to consolidate its schools in 1904.
- The oldest building in the city is the Stagecoach Stop located on Saginaw Street next to the Coach Stop Plaza. It was built around 1840.